Welcome to Infinite Arms! We are a no word count, character driven, AU Marauder Era roleplay set in the year 1981. No one is safe and no one side can claim to be innocent. The Dark Lord has recruited many to his cause, creatures of all types have been attacking citizens and with each passing month the murders and disappearances have increased. Albus Dumbledore is fighting back. He has recruited a select group of talented young witches and wizards to fight against the darkness that threatens the world--but will they be able to resist succumbing to darkness themselves?
April 1981
Scattered Showers
Full Moon: Sunday 19

We have a trio of beans this month! Cactus, Purple Rose and Sunflower. Click to see how you can earn them!
After a disaster-filled April the Ministry has decided to take action, launching an Inquiry into its own employees. Not only that it seems like the various press outlets are taking sides. Who do you believe, the Daily Prophet? Or have you turned to other sources for information?
PLOT
RULES
APPLICATION
CANON LIST
CLAIMS
WANTED
BERTIE BOTT'S
TIMELINE
FAQ
SITE CREDITS

Add Reply
New Poll

dash of peril [argyle], Fabs
Emmeline Vance
 Posted: Dec 26 2017, 10:49 AM
twenty
Halfblood
ORDER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
we are more than our scars, we are more than the sum of our parts
AWARDS

Although the cold snap that carried them through Christmas and the new year had passed, the temperatures remained low, and Emmeline found herself turning to low, prophylactic doses of Pepper-Up Potion fairly regularly. It was especially useful now that she had volunteered to take on extra patrols in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley with the Order, under the guise of a young single woman looking to have a good time.

Not that she was really convinced a good time was possible at this temperature, but that was really beside the point.

After her twentieth birthday, immediately following the New Year's celebrations, Emme had made a vow to herself that she was going to swear off all romance for at least the next 365 days. After the debacle with Nate, then her first relationship and heartbreak at Gabe's hands, then the whole messy clusterfuck that was her affair with Davina -- well, 1980 had been sufficiently eventful in that respect to carry her through for a while. So with her excess energy, she was throwing herself into her work, both at the Ministry and as a member of the Order. It wasn't like there was a lack of things to do -- while Hogsmeade was open for business again, the Death Eaters were hardly discouraged from their nefarious goings-on, and quite aside from that Emme was busy at work collecting data for her treatise on the differences between centaur, mermish, and goblin magic, as opposed to human wizardry.

She stifled a cough into a gloved hand, before looking over at her co-patroller. "Not a cold," she said, "just a tickle in my throat. Merlin, it's cold." Everyone at work was paranoid about coming down with one of the million and a half viruses and bugs that were being shared generously. She sniffed, adjusting the wool hat over her hair, which had been bundled into a messy knot underneath. "How are Molly and the brood?" She didn't know Molly Weasley well, but no one associated with the Prewetts -- or, frankly, who had been at Hogwarts at the same time as anyone in that family -- was unaware of the ginger clan. And Emme quite liked Molly, really. She didn't take any guff, which was impressive given the size of the herd she shepherded. "And Gideon?"

PM
^
FABIAN PREWETT
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 07:37 PM
twenty-five
Pureblood
ORDER_A
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
CAN YOU BRING ME BACK TO LIFE WHEN MY HEART’S IN SMITHEREENS?
AWARDS

1981 was a new year, and Fabian was trying to find balance this year. He was terrible at it, and he had been terrible at it since he had left Hogwarts and started juggling multiple things. The more opportunities there was for him to say yes to things, the more likely he was to agree to more than he could handle or more than he should be doing. It wasn’t anything that he wasn’t used to, but in the effort of not doing too much he was trying to pace himself for 1981 and see if he might not find a better balance between his work, the Aparecium, the Order and his personal life, all things that could demand more time than he was able to provide at times. He was still going to do everything he could to meet his duties to everything, and that meant taking some nights to go on patrols and see if they couldn’t stop something terrible from happening instead of just playing catch-up all of the time.

They were constantly changing out whom they were going on patrol with, and though he didn’t mind the changes, there was always the nagging thought at the back of his mind that he wished he could be watching Gideon’s back every time each of them went out. He knew he was a better dueler when he was working with his brother, but that couldn’t be the case all of the time. Tonight he had gotten Emmeline, and he couldn’t help but wonder if she should have been somewhere else than out in the cold weather. ”It sounds like you should be home drinking tea and eating soup.” He wasn’t going to demand that she take his advice, but he felt the need to offer it. If he didn’t, he’d feel terrible if she ended up sicker after their time in the cold. ”That’s why everyone’s off the street.” He hoped that held true for the rest of the night. If people weren’t out, they were harder to target.

”They’re good,” he replied, tucking his hands deeper into his pockets. ”They keep her busy, that’s for sure. I don’t know how she does it.” He was constantly in awe of his sister and how she handled everything. They had chosen very different paths for their lives, but it all worked. He knew Molly supported him, even if she didn’t always agree with the choices he had made and was making. And while the life that she had chosen wasn’t something that he could do personally, he was happy for her. She had found the perfect man for her in Arthur and they had a large family to be proud of. ”Gideon’s, you know.. just as busy as the rest of us. Maybe more so with the Ministry demanding his time... How’s your family doing? And you?” It was probably most important, knowing how she herself was doing.m

@Emmeline Vance

london west end.

PM
^
Emmeline Vance
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 05:18 PM
twenty
Halfblood
ORDER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Her lips quirked into a little half-smile as he suggested she might be better off home with tea and soup -- "I think that goes for both of us, honestly. Isn't everyone off better at home with tea and soup?" she asked. She didn't mean to blow off his concern -- it was perfectly valid, and she thought he might be a little anxious about how well a sick girl could watch his back. But it really was just the cold air, and she shook her head. "No, don't worry. If I wasn't up to patrolling, I'd've switched with Marlene or someone," she said honestly.

The last thing she wanted was to be responsible for the injury -- or, Merlin forbid, death -- of a fellow Order member.

Emmeline was with Fabian on not knowing how Molly did it. She admired the older witch, but didn't envy her -- well, usually didn't envy her. Emmeline didn't have anything really resembling a maternal urge yet, not at her age, but she rather missed being surrounded by family. Since her brother's death and then her sister's abdication from the Ministry to treat her alcoholism... well, it had been lonely for the last Vance left in London. If she didn't have Hana and Gavin she might've given up and headed home, tail between her legs.

"What's she up to now, six?" she asked with a smile. "If she and Arthur are trying to make enough 'blood-traitor' purebloods to outnumber the arseholes, I both appreciate their dedication and question their sanity." Though as a half-blood, she was more than a little skeptical of just how pure anyone's blood could be, Sacred 28 or not. How could there not be a Muggle or two in there somewhere?

She bit her lip when he mentioned Gideon; she had seen him, a time or two, around the Ministry. Though she'd never admit it, she'd had a bit of an innocent crush on the other twin, back as a wide-eyed first-year during the overlap of their tenures at Hogwarts. "The Aurors have had their work cut out for them," she agreed. "I'm glad Amelia's not doing it anymore." She referenced her sister. Alcoholism and an Auror career didn't blend well. "They're... well. Mum's convinced someone's going to target them, and had my uncle put wards up around the house. Dad doesn't care, says he'll learn tae kwon do and just 'karate chop' the Death Eaters." She gave a little huff of laughter; condensation puffed out in a cloud before her. "To make Mum laugh. He gets it. I think he's scared too, he just won't admit it."

PM
^
FABIAN PREWETT
 Posted: Jan 31 2018, 01:06 PM
twenty-five
Pureblood
ORDER_A
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

"In most cases, yes." He couldn't think of a day that had really gone badly with tea and soup, though there was obviously the downside of being sick when that combination was usually brought into view. "Just offering some advice," he replied quietly. He didn't think that anyone should be out in weather like this, but they couldn't know what was going on or do anything to keep people safe if they were cooped up and hoping for the best. They needed to be out in the thick of it, and, in this case, that meant the poor weather. Still, it made him wonder about how well equipped any of them were for the weather like this and whether they would be able to handle it if they ran into trouble. He wanted to believe the answer was yes on all fronts, but he worried about the younger members of the group keeping up when conditions were less than ideal.

Fabian glanced over, trying to mentally count up Molly's kids. There were a lot of them, and she and Arthur didn't seem to be taking a break from it. He had to wonder how long she could go on like that, but he hadn't had the nerve to ask her in person. Maybe if she ever had a bit too much to drink, that might be the opportunity, but these days, he didn't know how likely an event that was of happening. There were too many children to keep track of to do that. "Mmmm six, yeah, and another on the way." He chuckled. "I don't think that's what they're after, but I've joked with them that they're going to have an easy time fielding a full Quidditch team, if everyone gets along enough to not fight over which positions they want to play." Throw the adults in the mix, and they had more than enough to compete in a league. Not that any of the kids were old enough yet for that to be a real possibility.

"They do." Sometimes he felt guilty for not being able to do more than he was already doing, but he knew he wouldn't have been suited as an auror. That was Gideon's role, and a job that Gideon did exceedingly well. Fabian was doing his part, but he had to better accept that sometimes that looked different from what everyone else was doing at the time. Fabian glanced down, watching his feet shuffle across the ground as Emmeline spoke about her family. "They don't have any reason to target them, do they? I mean, they don't know about you doing this." If they did, that would be another story. "Everyone needs a bit of humor in their lives with all of this. I'm sure your Mum appreciates his jokes, even if she doesn't say it."

@Emmeline Vance

london west end.

PM
^
Emmeline Vance
 Posted: Mar 5 2018, 08:09 PM
twenty
Halfblood
ORDER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Emmeline gave Fabian a small, fond smile; she knew he meant well by his advice, and hoped he hadn't assumed she was annoyed. She'd only meant to reassure him that she wasn't really sick. "It's a Prewett thing, I think," she offered in a softer voice. "Fussing a bit over everyone else." Molly certainly was guilty of it, and though Emme couldn't say Gideon had ever expressed concern over her, she wouldn't be surprised to hear if the auror fussed over his closer friends.

Six, and another on the way? She made an incredulous noise, hissing air between her teeth and pursing her lips. The very idea of childbirth made her nether bits clench up in fear and anticipated pain -- but going through it seven times? She wasn't sure she ever wanted children, to be perfectly honest, but she absolutely knew that if she had them, she was drawing the line at two. She had held enough babies to marvel mentally over how a woman's bits stretched -- it seemed like magic in and of itself, a more primal version of it. She grinned at his suggestion of a Quidditch team, though. "The Wicked Weasels?" she suggested with a little laugh. "With team colors in blue and green, to complement all the red hair. We could make jerseys."

She chewed her lip when the conversation turned to her parents. No, they didn't know about her role in the Order--her sister did, but that was it. "No, but I work for the Ministry, and my sister was an Auror, and my brother..." she paused. Nicky had been a healer, before he was murdered by Death Eaters. "There's no reason to target them, but there's also no reason they wouldn't know about our family. We may not run in social circles, but we're not exactly hidden away either." She gave him a weak little smile. "Oh, she does. They have the same sense of humor. It's lucky, having someone like that in your life... someone to share the good and the bad with." She bit the inside of her lip again, thinking back to her failed relationship with Gabriel, to the fling with Davina. Romance didn't seem like something she was going to have any time soon, in any lasting way. "Are you seeing anyone?" she asked, with tentative curiosity. She didn't know much about the Prewett boys' lives, really.

PM
^
FABIAN PREWETT
 Posted: Mar 17 2018, 05:20 PM
twenty-five
Pureblood
ORDER_A
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

"Maybe," he replied with a hint of a smile. He certainly didn't think of it as a Prewett thing. He often though of it as a Molly thing. But he knew there was some truth to the matter that he also tended to look out for people wherever he could, if only because he knew how it felt to be in a situation where he was at a loss, and he never wanted others to feel that way. It was a part of him, looking out for those that he cared for, and he knew on some level he had learned that from his older sister. As long as they could help it, they would keep people from suffering.

Fabian laughed quietly at the proposed name for the Quidditch team. "We may joke now, but in fifteen years we might be looking at the only team in the BIQL that has all family members on the roster." His nephews would be playing Quidditch as long as he had any say in it. He had already started to teach the older boys the rules of the game and taken them to a couple matches so they could get a feel for it, and he hadn't been disappointed in their reactions. He couldn't wait until they were old enough to get a proper broom, instead of the toy brooms that they'd been using at the Burrow to practice.

"It's hard to keep from worrying over them, but from where I see it, I don't think you have much to worry about on that front. They seem to be in a good situation, and being lesser known can only protect them at this point." He didn't want to make her think that there was no reason for concern. Just by being a part of the Order, there was always the possibility that a family member was targeted. "We all do what we can to protect them, and that's what we have to live with." He went out of his way to make sure that Molly and the boys were properly protected at the Burrow, especially since they lived so far out in the countryside. "It sounds like they have each other, and that's the best thing they could have."

He didn't know if his comment had taken her in that direction or if there was something else that she was thinking of first, but he was surprised that she was asking about his romantic life. Most people didn't ask or shied away from asking too much about any relationships. Significant others could be put in harm's way as much or more than their family members would be, and he thought of that often when it came to Kit. "I am, yeah." He was curious to see if she would ask more questions, but he did take a moment to turn the question back to her. "Are you?"

@Emmeline Vance

london west end.

PM
^
Emmeline Vance
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 06:02 PM
twenty
Halfblood
ORDER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

She had to laugh at the idea of an entirely Weasley team. "I'll be there rooting you all on. And hey, if you or Gideon, or one of Arthur's brothers have kids, you'll have enough for your own reserves. Possibly even an independent league." She smiled at the idea. Once upon a time, as a little girl, she had decided she would have a big family one day. Growing up with Matilda and Nicky had been so wonderful -- they had been her best friends -- and she had assumed that 'the more the merrier' was really true. She had even picked out names, though she couldn't remember them now.

That was, of course, before the war; before getting her heart broken by Gabriel; before the revelations of femininity with Davina... Before she'd realized that growing up was this hard, and before she realized that not all of them would get to really grow up.

She smiled, her expression softer, as he sought to reassure her about her parents. She knew as well as he did that there were dangers attached to what they were doing -- but there were dangers for everyone. No one in her family had been a member of the Order when Nicky had been murdered; he'd been a bloody Healer, for Merlin's sake. And yet he was still dead. "Oh, they'll be fine," she said, trying for good-natured nonchalance. "Worse comes to worst, I'll just tell them they should take a nice long extended trip to visit my uncle in Canada." It wouldn't be that easy, of course, but that was her back-up plan.

She was curious when he said he was seeing someone -- someone they went to school with? Though she and the Prewetts had only overlapped by a single year. "I... no. Not right now. I was seeing someone, but she -- " the word slipped out before she realized it, and her cheeks pinked up a little more than just from the cold. "Erm. It -- ended." Not that she'd really call what she and Davina had a relationship. More ending up in bed together any time they saw each other and ending up curled around each other like cats whenever they could.

She cleared her throat, eager to change the subject without looking (more than she already did) like that's what she was doing. "You know, when I was a first year, I had the biggest crush on you and Gideon," she offered with a little grin. "One of you got Peeves to leave me alone once, when he'd gotten me cornered near the Potions dungeon, and I decided then and there that I was absolutely in love with you. Only I couldn't tell which of you was which, so I decided I loved you both." It was a sweet, pure little memory, from a happier time, and the smile it brought her was more sincere.

PM
^
FABIAN PREWETT
 Posted: Apr 26 2018, 07:08 PM
twenty-five
Pureblood
ORDER_A
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

”It’s true,” he replied, though he didn’t want to think about how unlikely it was that he was going to have children anytime soon. Not with this war going on, certainly, but also his relationship wasn’t exactly conducive to that, unless they were going to think about adopting a child. There were plenty of children out there that needed someone to take them in and give them a family, but he couldn’t see how one was supposed to go about raising a family with everything going on in the world. ”I don’t really see children in the future anytime soon,” he admitted. ”I know that Molly and Arthur are raising a family, but it’s hard to picture that doing what any of us are doing.” They were risking their lives every day, some in more ways than one, and that was something that a family didn’t need to deal with. Having someone he cared for as much as he cared for Kit was enough to cause him worry on that front.

Fabian glanced over at her, somewhat surprised that she would be so willing to entertain the thought of sending her family away if that became necessary. It was a smart thing to consider, and he had respect for that, even if he assumed it was much harder to follow through. ”That may not be a bad thing to consider, depending how things start to look.” Family and close connections were all things that could be exploited by a person that wanted to do them harm. Still, he didn’t think he would be strong enough to send away their parents or Molly and the boys, if push came to shove. He wanted to think that it was in his blood, but deep down he was as unsure as the next person.

He glanced up, hearing the pronoun that slipped out and peering at her from the side. She wasn’t meeting his gaze, but for some reason he felt it was pertinent to reassure her that it wasn’t something he was going to judge her for. ”Hey.” He held up his hand, trying to get her attention. ”He. She. Whatever. Either way, it’s alright.” Maybe it wasn’t the most eloquent way to say that to her, but it was something. ”It’s cliche, but maybe it wasn’t meant to be.” He sucked in a breath, pausing to take a good look at the area around them. He didn’t want to be caught by surprise, if someone was out and about and observing them. ”Trust me. Caring for someone comes with both the good and the bad, especially on days like this.” He was constantly worrying for Kit and his safety; he would have been doing the same even if Kit hadn’t been part of the Aparecium. But he was, which only made him worry more.

”Really?” He didn’t remember doing that, despite spending a lot of time down in the potions classrooms. ”Might have been Gideon then... Probably coming down to drag me away from a cauldron.” Potions were one of his favorite subjects, to the point that he still made a point to brew a lot in his spare time. It had never turned into a career for him, but it was useful in keeping their own flat stocked up with useful potions. But despite spending that time there, he assumed that it was Gideon. Not that Fabian wasn’t likely to stand up for someone that needed it, but he wasn’t as quick to jump into situations as Gideon could be. It was part of how they complimented each other well.

@Emmeline Vance

Hogsmeade.

PM
^
Emmeline Vance
 Posted: May 1 2018, 06:36 PM
twenty
Halfblood
ORDER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

He was right, of course. Emmeline couldn't see raising a family right now either. The sheer courage Arthur and Molly must have had to face every day knowing that their precious children were existing in such a dangerous, unpredictable world... Merlin, Emme could hardly fathom it on her own behalf, much less small helpless lives that were her responsibility. "I know what you mean," she agreed quietly. "It's all too mad."

Emme wouldn't at all have hesitated to send her family away if it came down to it -- but that didn't mean she thought her family would listen. She could probably prevail upon her mother; Emmeline took after her, cautious and logical. Her father, though, would resist. And it wasn't a lack of understanding about the situation -- though he was a Muggle, he'd been married to a witch for almost thirty years, had raised three young wix and sent them off to Hogwarts. They got a daily subscription to the Prophet. He understood well enough. But she didn't think that, after losing his son, her father would be willing to leave his daughters here. And as for Matilda... well, there was simply no telling what she'd do at all.

His reaction to the pronoun slip, though, was -- wholly unexpected. Sure, she wouldn't assume any Prewett would be quick to judge, but the fact that he stopped her to reassure her was... well, it accomplished his goal. She felt wholly reassured, and a little warmed despite the frigid air. She gave him a soft smile. "It wasn't meant to be," she agreed softly. "I still miss her, but... you're right. It's all too much of a mess." She sighed, looking up at the dark sky. "It's just -- it was nice to feel for a bit like I belonged to someone, you know? But she's safer without me."

Her lips quirked into an amused smile when he identified his brother as the likely culprit. "Does seem a bit more in keeping," she agreed. She didn't know the twins all that well -- this was the most time she'd spent with either of them one on one, though she was rather enjoying getting to know Fabian better -- but she could absolutely see Gideon being the one to pull Fabian away. "What are Arthur and Molly going to do with their kids?" she asked softly, then, her thoughts pulled back to Hogwarts. "They must be getting about that age..."

PM
^
FABIAN PREWETT
 Posted: May 6 2018, 09:28 PM
twenty-five
Pureblood
ORDER_A
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

A family right now was out of the question for him, though perhaps when all of this was said and done, there would be a chance for that. He liked to think that this war wasn't going to last forever, but nothing he experienced gave him proof that they were getting closer. If anything, it was more complicated the longer they were fighting, and the more that he struggled to see an end. They were getting deeper into the nitty gritty of the war, but it felt like they were making little progress toward a solution.

He hadn't intended this conversation to get into romance, but he wasn't about to back away from it as it was. He liked to offer reassurance where he could, even if it wasn't to someone that he was particularly close to. When it came down to it, the Order was a lot like an extension of his family, and he felt liked he owed it to the rest of the members to help where he could with whatever he was able to offer support on. If it happened to be some relationship reassurance to Emmeline, then that was going to be what it was on this outing.

Hopefully they wouldn't run into anything more severe than that today.

"Sometimes it's for the best, and sometimes things have a way of showing up and working out when we least expect it. You could reconnect with her at some point, and maybe things will be different. Or maybe there's something else out there." Things worked in strange ways, and while he hadn't been looking for anything, he knew there would be a part of him missing if he hadn't fallen into what he had with Kit. It was a great feeling, and it just felt right, something he couldn't say for any other relationship in his life up to this point. "You'll know when it feels right."

The conversation turned back to Molly and her family, and he shook his head. "Honestly, I don't know. The school doesn't seem like it's going to be open anytime soon, so I can't imagine that she has much of a choice but to try and teach them at home." It pained him to think about his nephews growing up without the same experience at Hogwarts that he'd had when he was getting of age. It was going to be a handful, trying to tutor some of the boys while keeping track of the rest of the children. He didn't envy her in that, but he didn't see any other way around it.

@Emmeline Vance

Hogsmeade.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

OUR AFFILIATES

Accio Discord!
On IA we use a widget that allows guest posting, sign in with your discord id or as a guest.