Welcome to Infinite Arms! We are a no word count, character driven, AU Marauder Era roleplay set in the year 1981. No one is safe and no one side can claim to be innocent. The Dark Lord has recruited many to his cause, creatures of all types have been attacking citizens and with each passing month the murders and disappearances have increased. Albus Dumbledore is fighting back. He has recruited a select group of talented young witches and wizards to fight against the darkness that threatens the world--but will they be able to resist succumbing to darkness themselves?
April 1981
Scattered Showers
Full Moon: Sunday 19

We have a trio of beans this month! Cactus, Purple Rose and Sunflower. Click to see how you can earn them!
After a disaster-filled April the Ministry has decided to take action, launching an Inquiry into its own employees. Not only that it seems like the various press outlets are taking sides. Who do you believe, the Daily Prophet? Or have you turned to other sources for information?
PLOT
RULES
APPLICATION
CANON LIST
CLAIMS
WANTED
BERTIE BOTT'S
TIMELINE
FAQ
SITE CREDITS

Add Reply

We Meet Again, tag: Thor
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 02:36 AM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain.
AWARDS

It was weird being back in town, even just the short amount of time that he had been back felt strange to him. He had been away for years, and there was no telling how it was going to be for him coming back to this part of the world.

He hadn't spoken to anyone since he was 17. He had not spoken to his family, he had not spoken to his friends, he had not spoken to any of the pure blood families that he had grown up with, or any of his teachers - not anyone. He had been determined to sever those ties in order to really find himself, because he had felt pushed and pulled in his time at school as well as his time before school at home with his family, and all that he wanted to do was find himself.

Well, for the most part, he had, and he was curious to see how that would hold up if he went home again. He knew, of course, that there would be things he had to ask himself about his family, and what to do about his life, but he felt that he would figure that out. Hell, if everything here was awful, he could just leave again, couldn't he?

At least that way he would know that truly was no place for him here. He wasn't sure what he would do from there ,but he would figure something out if he had to.

So far, the only thing he had figured out was where to live. With the small amount of money that he had saved from his time traveling about, working odd jobs, he had rented a shabby flat on the edge of town, but it was good enough for him, and the price was right. The next day, he would try to find a job, but today? All he wanted was to find a drink.

It was the middle of the afternoon when he wandered into the Hogshead, and the pub was all but empty. He sat down a few seats into the bar, noting the only other person in the bar, save for a couple canoodling at a table in the back, was a man a couple of seats down from the seat he had choosen.

Wordlessly, he signaled for the bartender, ordering a pint of ale and pulling out the book that he had brought with him. After all, drinking alone would just be sad if he hadn't something to read.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 06:38 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
BUT ALL I HEARD WAS YOU PULL THE STRINGS
AWARDS

His one job for the day had been done; dealing with a contractor who was building some sort of love shack for a very old pureblood and his young mistress. It was one of those things that made Thorfinn's skin crawl because he knew if some creepy old man, older than his father to boot, was trying to sneak around with Thor's youngest sister well the man would be dead before the thought could be put into action. But it was business, he had to check that attitude or as his father called them 'hang ups' at the door after all it wasn't like he personally was building the love nest for the disturbing pairing.

"Thank god. Dirty old fucker. Wait, heh. That's accurate." Thor muttered to himself as he took a drink of his whiskey; it was his second for the day since the contractor he'd been meeting with had left. He'd just been enjoying the quite of the pub, everyone minding their own business, except the couple who weren't as hidden as they perhaps thought, and Thor made a point to not look over there, good on the randy little buggers. As long as they kept it to themselves but for the life of him he couldn't figure out why they wouldn't just go make use of the perfectly good restrooms. There was one thing to be said for The Hog's Head, their bathrooms were very surprisingly clean given the name and reputation of the bar.

Thor would have left by now usually, but something made him stay, perhaps he thought she would be here again; she had said it was more to her taste. But it's not like Thor was looking for her, it was just a thought when he'd entered the building that he might have seen her again. But he hadn't which was probably for the best, he wasn't exactly sure how he would have explained his business meeting not that he really could, Rowle & Son promised the highest level of discretion when dealing with your indiscretions and whatnot. But he had stayed and now he was thinking it was time to go, he'd been about to finish the last of his whiskey when he noticed someone new pull up a seat at the bar which was strange itself, most people wanted the privacy and the sense of anonymity that was offered by the poor lighting in the bar.

'Why does this kid look familiar? He'd not Roly Poly's kid, is he? Nah last time I saw that squirt he was supporting a full beard. Who is it?' Thor glanced at the kid out the corner of his eye, something about the younger man look familiar but in that way of someone you'd not seen in a while and even mentally adding a thick black beard to the man's face didn't make him any more sold on it being the son of one of his father's old friends that had been dubbed somewhat of an Uncle to the Rowle kids growing up. Ticking off a mental list of people his age, the age of both his sister's and trying to figure out who it was; his age looked closer to that of his younger sister, so the guy could be no older than around twenty-three but most of them he'd seen at the latest social gatherings except that one kid who had always been…. It was as if the lightbulb went off over his head as the last name of the young man who had just seeming up and disappeared years ago. Like one of those urban legends that everyone knew someone who knew someone who had.

"Oi, Yaxley? Is that you?"

While he might not have been close to the guy, the age difference alone was notable, Thor made an active effort to know the who's and the what's of those in the social circles he travelled in, that his parents travelled in because knowledge was power, and all pureblood families were harbouring dirty little secrets. Well any ones worth their title of pureblood anyway.

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Feb 3 2018, 02:48 PM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

The time away had left Icarus sure that he would at least have a few days to get settled before anyone recognized him, before anyone was really able to place who he was.

He had been gone for almost three years, and in that time, well, honestly, not a great deal had changed about his appearance, save for his hair, which was longer. He still looked young, younger than he wished he did, younger than he was if he was being honest, but he tried not to spend too much time worrying about his looks and how they would impact his life in the future. He wasn't a child, and he didn't want to be treated like one.

Hell, that was part of why he had up and left in the first place. His family had decided his path for him, and if he stayed, he knew that the pressure to go along with such things would be incredible. He wasn't about that. He didn't want to have to deal with people telling him what to do for his entire life, so he had left, and now? Now that he was back, he was hoping that he would be able to find a difference there, something that would balance out better. If there was a place for him in the Wizarding world, it wasn't married to some pure blood witch, sitting at the board table for the family business. Maybe he didn't know what he wanted his place to be, exactly, but he knew that he didn't want that.

He was surprised to hear his name, and had it not been a knee-jerk reaction to turn and look at the man speaking to him, he might well have ignored it.

Alright, so apparently he wasn't as forgotten as he would have liked to think.

"Yes?" He took a drink of his ale, studying the man as he did so, trying to place him. He had been gone from this world for awhile, and before that he had largely withdrawn, but still, this man did look familiar, though it took him a great while to place him.

"Rowle," he said finally. It was easier to pick him out, he had been in his sister's year in school, and they had been exposed to each other when they were younger. Of course it was his luck, that the first person he would really run into would be of the very ilk that he had run away from. Still, it would do him no good to be rude right now. "Sorry, it's been a bit. Took me a minute to place you."

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Feb 17 2018, 06:04 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Thor had half been expecting the younger bloke to look at him confused not to actually respond in the affirmative, it actually almost caught him off guard. Almost. Trying to mask any sort of surprise, he took a drink of his whiskey before nodding when the other man came out with his surname. "Got it in one." Thor said with a small grin and tiniest of salutes with his glass before he placed it back on the bar top. "It's certainly been a while, it took me a moment to figure out who you were also. I mean, last time I saw you would have been at one of the social calendar events and you looked a bit different." Thor thought better than to say the boy had looked better presented, cleaner even.

That however didn't stop Thor from making his comment, thought through completely or not. "How's that girl you knocked up? I mean, the mother of your child? Not sure what title you crazy kids call that sort of thing nower days. The really skinny blonde one." It might not have come out quite as eloquently as Thor would have liked or with more thought have pieced together better but he meant it with well enough attentions, plus the curiosity of it burned him a little inside, secrets were pretty much his business after all. "That why you disappeared, wasn't it? Some star crossed romantic bullshit? You got her pregnant, parents didn't approve so you went all off the grid to have your kid. Or at least that was what I heard from my sister." Thor loved his little sister but sometime she did get things a little bit backwards, bless her heart.

To be fair, he hadn't really had much to do with the younger Yaxley considering the one that Thor found noteworthy the Yaxley family, that honour belonged to the younger man's older sister, it really was a shame he'd been arranged otherwise he might have tried to make something happen there. But his younger sister had always spoke fondly enough of the youngest Yaxley boy, she had always said he was different not that Thor had ever known what to make of that because knocking up some bird and trying to hide it seemed a pretty pureblood way of doing things not that he was to judge anyone.

"I'm surprised I'd not heard you'd returned. Long lost son of the Yaxley family returns and all that. You'd think they'd put that in some sort of social pages or a pureblood newsletter." Thor was only slightly joking, he wasn't completely sure that there wasn't some sort of pureblood social page newsletter fluttering about between all the pureblood wives and eligible young women because he was sure his dead wife seemed to know everyone's coming and goings even if she didn't know who she was talking about.

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Mar 1 2018, 05:15 PM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Seeing people from his past was inevitable, Icarus had known that in coming back, but that didn't mean that he had really prepared himself for it. He didn't know how he was going to react to everyone, what he was going to say, anything like that, but he had hoped that, when the time came, he would act with poise. He also hoped that he wouldn't lose any of the conviction that he had. He had strengthened in his time away, and now he was certain of who he was, and he didn't want to play with that, to give it up if he didn't have to. He was stronger than he had been when he had left.

He hoped that he was strong enough to be back.

"Yeah, well," he snorted. "I suppose my hair was shorter than." And of course, he had gained an air of confidence to him, though he was still tall and lanky, just as he had been the last time the man had seen him. He liked to think that he appeared more grown up, but he wasn't sure if that was the case.

This was the first that Icarus had heard of the rumors for where he'd gone off to. That he had knocked up some blonde? He furrowed his brow, trying to figure out what the man was talking about before it dawned on him. Of course there would have been rumors. He laughed, shaking his head. "No, Merlin, that's...no one's pregnant. Or at least not by me." Or at least not that he knew of. He had been rather loose in his travels, but he didn't think that mattered here. "Just...needed to get away for a bit is all. Any other interesting rumors circulating that I should be aware of?" He didn't want to be caught off guard again.

He shifted slightly when the man talked about his surprise that he hadn't heard of Icarus' return. He hadn't really made a big show of it. "I've kept my head down, I suppose." He shrugged. He didn't want it to be in the papers, he wasn't even sure that his family was aware of his return yet, and he wanted to get his bearings before he had to deal with...any of that. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't run around telling everyone you meet, as well. I just want to settle in a little first." It wasn't much to ask, he didn't think, but he wasn't sure how big of a gossip Thorfinn was.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 06:38 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Nodding at the comment made by the younger man about his hair, Thor wasn't sure longer was the descriptor he would have used. Girly probably would have been his choice but then again this was the man who thought living dangerously in regard to his hairstyle was letting his barber take off a little more than usual, but it always ended up looking all the same; absolute perfection in his mind. But each to their own, the had been out in wildness for many years now, it was hardly far to expect the lad to return sharply dressed and looking a million dollars.

"Oh okay well, I do believe I lost twenty galleons on you producing a male Yaxley heir then." Thor said with a small shrug before he drank down his whiskey, he could remember making the bet at the time the rumours started swirling about the boy's departure from the pureblood society that they have lived and breathed as expected of them by their oppressors also known as parents. Which all compounded to be nothing sure of terrifyingly suffocating even Thor could understand and appreciate how some people just cracked under that level of pressure or just felt such a level of determination to secure their own freedom and just walk away. "Well the only other one I heard was something about someone saw you in Romania, or somewhere like that, in the woods performing some sort of weird sacrificial ritual. Butt naked. I did personally think that one was a bit of a stretch personally." It was ridiculous and hard to prove whereas knocking up the blonde in question with an illegitimate child on the other hand had a bit more plausibility to it.

Signalling for a refill from the bartender, Thor figured he wasn't going anywhere now that he had found a familiar face, even if it was one that had caught him completely by surprise to have stumbled across in the first place. A small smirk appeared on Thor's face as he listened to Icarus' comment about keeping his head down with the quickly followed request to keep it to himself which he could do; he was practically a vault full of everyone's dirty little secrets whether they were ones he was paid to keep or just ones that fell into his lap like the current situation. "Ah. A man keeping a secret, hm? The family don't know about your resurfacing then I take it? Look, it's your business I'm not going to tell anyone I saw you. They'd probably think he just as insane as the woman who was spouting off about your supposed Romania adventures." There was a an unmissable note of amusement in his voice at his last remark, it had just been so farfetched and yet everyone had been whispering about it as if it help some sort of validity but at least now he had his answer about it.

"May I ask though how you intend to break that little piece of news to your parents? I mean, you might give them a heart attack but I suppose if there is a potion for that, they'll have the best access to it." Thor joked, well sort of, joked because he was sure that there was the risk of old Mummy and Daddy Yaxley getting the shock of their life at the return of their youngest child. He wasn't exactly sure how the family would deal with the young man's return as he knew his own family would not deal with it favourable; the notion of going against the family, the Rowle traditions and ways had been spelt out very clearly to him when he objected to his arranged marriage; complete exile. Thor hoped the Yaxley's were a more reasonable and forgiving bunch than those with Rowle blood flowing through their veins. "Might I suggest owling ahead?"

Thor almost felt somewhat brotherly toward the young man; this grand return, or low key at this stage, could just as much go up in flames as it could go well. Either way, it would be a sight to see.

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 01:46 PM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Icarus didn't think he looked girly, but he also didn't care. He didn't want to look like the other pure bloods, he didn't wan to be associated with that lifestyle, and he also thought he looked something of a dope with short hair. It made him look younger than he was, he thought, younger than he looked anyways, and he wanted to be taken seriously. Icarus was an adult who had lived an adult life, done adult things, and he wasn't going to be treated like a child if he could help it. That was his biggest concern coming back here - that everyone would still treat him like the 17 year old boy than he had been when he had left, and not like a man who had experienced things in the real world now.

His eyes widened slightly when the man mentioned twenty galleons. "You're joking, right?" he asked, his tone as casual as he could make it. "People haven't really bet on me, and where I've been, have they?" Sure, the pure blood families did a lot of strange things for sport, but he hadn't pegged that as one of them. Then again, there were so many things that he didn't understand about that world, and he had been gone from it for quite sometime, so anything was possible, was it not?

He snorted at the mention of the second rumor going around, honestly, because he wasn't sure which one was farther from the truth. No, he hadn't gotten anyone pregnant, there was no child of his running around, and he hadn't been performing naked sacrifices in the woods, but being in the woods, he had. In Romania, even. "Well, I certainly wasn't doing that, either," he said with a laugh. Best to put as many rumors to bed as he could in one go, after all. Especially since, so far, none of them were true.

He shifted, slightly uncomfortably as the other man talked about him keeping secrets. No, that wasn't what this was, he just wanted to be more settled before he dealt with them. "I'm not crazy, I don't honestly think that I can keep my return from them for much longer, they may already know, I'm just...I just want to get my footing here before I'm thrown headfirst back into everything." He didn't want it to seem that he had secrets to keep. After all, he wasn't sure if he did. He just needed a bit more time, and then, if his family came to speak with him, he would have ideas of what to say to them. He wanted to be stable first so that they could see he did not need them.

Icarus took a sip of his drink, more to buy him time than anything else. "I don't plan to approach them," he admitted. They hadn't left on good terms, and his family probably had no idea why he had gone at all. He didn't know if they had searched for him, if they had worried after him, he didn't know about any of it. Hell, maybe they had been glad to see their odd son disappear. "I figure that word will reach them eventually, and if they wish to speak to me, they will reach out, and if they don't, well," he shrugged. "Can't blame them, I did run away." He didn't say that he would be fine being out of their lives forever. He might have, to someone else, but to another pure blood? Absolutely not.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 11:26 PM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Thor couldn't help but think that perhaps he shouldn't have mentioned the bets or the speculation of where the younger man had been but at the end of the day it was probably for the best; he didn't want the poor bloke to walk into any potentially awkward situations with other members of their little pureblood society. It was one thing to be have a laugh about it over a drink at The Hog's Head but Thor couldn't help but think it would be at least ten times worse to have some older person bailing the other man up quick all sorts of harsh and nosey inquisition into his private life. "I know of at least three betting pools which to be fair, I am only in two of them. Which I have evidentially bet wrong on both accounts. But you know I'm sure not many will have the stones to ask you about it, they'll just whisper about it and stare." Because that was the polite social etiquette wasn't it; everything was said in hushed tones with indirect statements and behind closed doors. Or that was at least how Thor had been brought up to conduct himself, how his whole family had been brought up to conduct themselves and stepping out of line wasn't worth the inevitable punishment. He hoped it was the case for Icarus otherwise they might just find him gone again, an encore to his first disappearing act.

At least he seemed in good spirits or that was what Thor assumed from the way he laughed off the Romanian butt naked ritual business but the way the other man shifted in his seat wasn't lost on him; while usually he would have delighted in pushing the buttons of anyone who seemed even the slightest bit comfortable or with something to hide but he let it slide. He had a small soft spot for the lad, well as much as he could, because if certain circumstances when he had been younger, the boy could have been related to him by marriage. "Hey, I meant nothing by it. I think everyone has secrets, it's human nature to want to keep some things played particularly close to your chest. For one's own sole knowledge." Thor said taking a drink then eyeing the liquid in his glass with a keen eye before looking at the other man, he know full well that he was practically a poster boy for such a method, more than once it had cost him but only on one occasion did it really still burn him. A good deep burn that never seemed to fade even after many years had passed. "But getting your situated is probably a good idea before trying to take that bull by the horns."

For a moment, Thor was floored which no doubt showed in his expression before he quickly recomposed himself. Surely, he had misheard the boy, wait no, younger man wasn't going to approach his family, his parents? Was he not going to front up after owling first and just taking what came in his stride? That was how a real man would handle it or so Thor thought but then he had no idea, he'd not really encountered many people who just walked away clear from their pureblood families and lived to tell the tale. "Men don't run away, Yaxley. If anyone asks you simply say that you endeavoured to widen your perspective of our world and became a man of worth because of such actions. They'll be so confused trying to figure it out they'll leave you be. It's a tried and tested method." It's how he had treated and mostly avoided questions about his wife after she died and then while people were confused he would make a speedy departure.

"You're not even going to see your sister or brother and give then a chance?" Thor asked, honestly interested as he couldn't imagine just disappearing then reappearing and not getting in touch with his little sister. His older sister? She could go to hell as far as she was concerned but he assumed it would have been the same for Icarus and his sister, for sure she would have cared and been no doubt worried for one of her younger brothers. "If my sister just upend left then came back a few years later, I'd be wanting her to come see me in person."

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Apr 8 2018, 12:13 AM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

the fact that people had been betting on him honestly boiled his blood a little, but he wasn't going to say that. He had left no clues to what he was doing. None whatsoever, and he knew that he couldn't really be surprised that people had been trying to guess where he had gone, or what he had been doing, or why, but the fact that multiple pools had been staged around it seemed odd to him. He had supposed that, at some point, people would just realize that he was gone and not worry about it any longer. Apparently, that was not the case.

"You've bet on me, have you?" He was surprised, but he was doing his best not to sound it, or at least not to sound it too much. "And what did you have? Was your money on the pregnancy then?" God, that had been far from the truth, but he couldn't really say the truth out loud. It would reflect badly on him and on his family, and he was certainly not yet ready to take on that sort of thing. Hell, he wasn't sure if he would ever be ready to take on a beast like that. His family was powerful, and a large part of Icarus was still afraid of them. "Well tell me, then," he said. "What were some of the most interesting bets, hmm? And how much money are you out for being wrong?"

What was his mystery worth, he wanted to know.

As far as he was concerned, people could whisper and stare all they wanted, but he would tell some version of the truth to anyone that asked him. It may not be the whole truth ,but he figured it would be enough to satisfy, and apparently, there was a want for such satisfaction.

He didn't comment anymore on his secrets, because he did have some - of course he did, didn't everyone? That was exactly what the other man was saying, and he wasn't going to disagree. "I've got a place," he said with a shrug. "I expect to have a job soon, and then, well, the rest." He took a long gulp of his drink, because he wasn't really sure what the rest was going to entail.

He straightened a bit as the other man got on him about what he should do concerning his family, and he gripped his glass a little tighter. "Men don't run away, huh?" He shook his head. "Well, I've already done that, so." He took a long gulp of his drink. Who was this man to tell him what to do? How should he handle his family. "If they want to speak to me, they can, but if I reach out to them, I think it might send the wrong message." He wasn't interested in getting back in the family business, in getting roped back in with any of it, really, and he didn't want to mislead his parents or his siblings.

Speaking of his siblings, well, they had never really been close. They were older, and more interested in what the family had to offer than he had been. "I'm not close with my brother and sister,' he said with a shrug. "Wasn't before I left, I don't really think they will mind." He wasn't looking to get back into the life that he had had before, and he didn't want to go knocking on any doors before he was ready. "I may change my mind after I've adjusted a bit, but for now, I don't really plan to go seeking anyone out." Then again, he was still getting his bearings. Such things took time.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 06:46 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

“Well when you say it like that you make it sound like it was a bad thing but yeah. I had my money on you showing back up one day with a son in tow.” It was a statement, not even a single trace of remorse to be found in Thor’s tone, it was a vice well it would have been if the man thought that he had any such weaknesses that could be classified as vices. But he was a perfect specimen as he’d happily inform anyone who cared to stop long enough. “Oh and I put money on the fact that the old witch who said she saw you in Romania doing the ritual stuff being a loon but that really wasn’t betting on you so I believe that should not be held against me.” At least he was honest, that should have definitely have counted for something, Thor would chalk it up as one of those moral things he heard speak off like they mattered. Taking a drink, he eyed the younger man wondering if maybe he was a bit offended by it all the people whom he had left behind taking bets on when he would return, what state he would return in, why he left in the first place or he’d in fact been dancing around but naked in some forest in Romania of all places.

It would have almost been flattering in Thor’s opinion that people seemed interested enough to start a few betting pools. But then again there was very little that offended or could cut into the cold exterior of Thorfinn Rowle.

“I’ll break even with my bets, payout wise since I was down one but up on the other. I had one hundred fifty galleons across my two flutters. To me personally was someone betting that you’d come back some sort of muggle lifestyle loving fellow. That you’d gone somewhat native for lack of better term.” Thor said with a laugh and a shake of the head like it was the most absurd thing that he could have ever heard because it probably was, far beyond his purist school of thought that someone could ever want to live or be like the very scourge that was infecting the wizarding world. There was no way the Yaxley family would allow such behaviour, he was sure.

“If you find yourself stuck on the employment situation send me an owl, I know a few people and might be able to help get your foot in the door somewhere. We have to look out for one another, right?” It was about as genuine of an offer that he was capable of making even if he was full aware Icarus was probably not going to take him up on it, if he was trying to keep a low profile from his family and a lot of Thor’s contacts were other well off pureblood families then it was easy to assume word might get out faster than the young man was wanting. For the briefest moment, Thor wondered if maybe he had overstepped the social bounds of conversation but he quickly dismissed such a thought as he was just trying to be helpful to the other man but the change in his posture and the grip of the glass was not lost on him so he felt it best not to prod any further on the issue.

Thinking better of making a remark about Icarus’ sister and how he personally wouldn’t have minded seeing more of her, but it didn’t feel appropriate also if someone said that about his little sister he’d have the strung up by their own innards. “Sometimes things have a strange way of changing despite our own intentions.” He said it almost like he was even impressed , or surprised, by his own sage wisdom on the topic. “You know what they say, you can’t choose your family and you only get one of them.”

Thor thought better of pointing out nobody said anything about not just killing them off if you didn’t like them; it felt like one of those mutually accepted things that didn’t need to be said because that was just how everyone dealt with their problems, right?

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 11:54 AM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Icarus laughed, shaking his head. ”No, not...not a bad thing at all, just odd. Really odd. I didn’t think...” he trailed off. Of course he knew deep down hat people would notice that he was gone, or at least some people would, but he had gotten himself fairly convinced that no one would care. He was something of the odd child in the family, and they had two others to carry on the legacy...he just didn’t think that they would be all that concerned his leaving - both his family and the rest of the pure blood world, really, but he supposed that at the end of the day, he really didn’t know that for sure.

It was just strange to think about, that people had been speculating, even putting money on, where he had been this whole time, what he had been doing and why he had left. It did leave him to wonder,in the back of his mind, if any of them had the real reason why he had disappeared. Of course, he didn’t think that they would, because what he had been feeling inside had been so radical, or at least in the eyes of most of the pure bloods that were likely to have been involved in the bet. Still, a part of him wondered if anyone, even one person, had figured out where he had been off to, and just why he had done what he had done. It wasn’t something, though, that he would reveal to just anyone, and certainly not to this man. ”It’s amusing,” he said, ”If nothing else. I suppose I should thank you for your vote of confidence, knowing that I wasn’t off, you know, performing ritual sacrifice or anything.” He laughed as he took another gulp of his drink. ’I’m glad you’ll come out even on your bets.”

He was trying his best to be nice, after all, he didn’t want to wind up saying something that he would regret or upsetting this man. Right now, Thor was being perfectly nice, if not a bit condescending towards him. He wasn’t sure, though, that it was meant with any kind of malice, likely just the same judgment that tended to come with pure blood.

When the other man offered to aid him in his hunt for a job, however, he was surprised. He hadn’t been expecting it, and he wasn’t planning to go for it, but he knew that he had to figure out how to politely decline it or seem like a real asshole. ”Oh, thank you, I might do that - I’ve got a good amount of experience at service positions from my travels, so I think I’m going to see if any of the local bars need any help, but if that falls through, yeah, definitely.” God, he hoped it wouldn’t fall through, or that if it did, he found something else before this man found out about it. He didn’t want to offend him, but he trusted Thorfinn Rowle about as far as he could throw him, and with Icarus’ slender stature, that wasn’t far at all. He didn’t want to get mixed up in the wrong thing.

Talk of his family made him straighten, put him on his guard, because he didn’t want to say the wrong thing, he didn’t want to give this man any reason to go running to the Yaxley family and say that Icarus had been bad mouthing them, because that would only make things worse for everyone. ”I...you’re right, but I’m just not sure.” He wanted to lean away from this conversation, to talk about other things. ”I’ll think about it, alright?” He hoped that that would be enough to placate the other man. Icarus finished off his drink and gestured for another. ”So, forgive my foggy memory, it’s been awhile - what exactly is it you do, Mr. Rowle?”

Most pure bloods loved talking about themselves, and if he could move the focus away from himself, well, that would be preferable for him. He wasn’t really into this talking about what he had been dealing with, where he had been business, especially not with someone that he didn’t really trust.

@THORFINN ROWLE

PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 07:14 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

It was a simple fact, or perhaps it was more a pureblood law sort situation, that Thor had quickly learnt and regardless of how much he hated it, it was just universally accepted; as a pureblood male and especially an heir, the life one led was never their own. He was the Rowle heir and there were certain responsibilities that would always accompany that title, that would encumber him. There was no escape from that, from the social ties that bind but maybe the youngest Yaxley had the right idea in disappearing, maybe he thought that he could and could get away with it because he wasn’t the first in line or even the first male in line for the Yaxley family throne so to speak. It spoke volumes though, in Thor’s very self-important opinion, that the young man ended up right back where he left. Give or take a family reunion or two that was. Almost as if it cemented in what Thor had always been telling himself since he was a young boy; there is no escape.

But would he ever actually want to escape? That was the question Thor had been ignoring in the back of his head since he had recognized the younger lad as Icarus Yaxley. The somewhat infamous Icarus Yaxley. “Hey, I wouldn’t be concerned or worried about it if that’s where your thoughts are headed. It’s a case of, well, you know how boring those fancy parties can be and of course you only need one person with one bright idea on how to liven up the stiffness of the evening and the next thing you know there is a betting pool.” All very casual, like nobody would bat an eyelid or think it strange when suddenly there was a library in some pureblood mansion turned into a nothing short of a book taker’s office. Thor wondered who he’d have to speak to about collecting his winnings but quickly reminded himself he’d been asked to keep his knowledge of Icarus return to himself and while he wasn’t always the upstanding gentleman, there was a certain code of honour he felt between pureblood men, so he’d honour that and just collect in due time.

“Well the offer is there if you need it.” It was a polite response to an equally polite response to his offer, he wasn’t exactly the nicest person by many or most people’s scale but he tried to help out his fellow purebloods as best as he could, especially those with whom had members of family he’d grown up with. It never hurt to have someone owe you either as father would say, but his father only ever looked out for himself and his own hide so that wasn’t exactly a philosophy Thor put much stock into. “Yeah, do as you think best for you. I just appreciate how difficult families can be.” Thor quickly quietened after statement also not wanting it getting back to his own family that he’d said something that could be construed as slinging dirt on his own family name not that he thought the young man would especially if he was trying to keep a lid on his grand return.

Taking another drink at the new question, Thor could barely hide the wince on his face as he heard himself referred to as Mr Rowle; that was his father and it was always felt somewhat of an insult given how he felt about the older man. He never wished to be lumped into the same basket as his father, every single time he saw a similarity between himself and his father he tried to change it about himself, but somethings were just hardcoded into his genetics. “Thor, please. Just call me Thor or Thorfinn not Mr Rowle. I’m the same age as your sister and that title always makes me feel like I’m over fifty years old.” Thor said with a small grin as he snuck another quick drink. “I’m a broker in the family business. Just handle business deals and transactions. Boring stuff really.” There really wasn’t much else he could say about his line of work that stayed in the safe lines of what could be said and what was too much. “I’d say you know how it is about the family business but well, I guess you dodged that one, didn’t you?”

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 03:59 PM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Icarus knew what it was like for pure blood families, especially the young men that were expected to take over the families, but he was determined not to become one of them. He wouldn’t be the boy that didn’t get out. He had escaped, he had done it once, and just because he was back now, well, that didn’t mean he couldn’t disappear again if things weren’t going the way that he wanted them to. He refused to let his life be run by the decisions of those in his fmaily, and as a result, he knew that he would do what he had to do to get out a second time, if he needed to. He was going to remain in control of his own life, even of many others had resigned themselves to the fact that they would never be able to do that.

Icarus wasn’t like other pure blood men, and he had known that for a long time. As a result, he had promised himself that he wouldn’t behave that way. However, he wasn’t going to say that in front of this man, who seemed as though he had very much chosen to live his life the way that most pure blood families would want for their c\hildren. Everyone was different, Thor’s choices were his own, just as Icarus was determined to make his own decisions.

”I suppose those parties do get dull,” he said, knowing full well what the other man was talking about. AFter all, those parties were awful. He had been to them, and he had snuck off to get away from them. He had never felt like he had belonged in that world, and so it was difficult for him to understand without being told how such a pool might have come up, but now that Thor explained it, well, it made more sense. ”I can see how that might come up, I just hope everyone got their full amusement out of it, and that the true dull nature of both my absence and my return don’t break too many banks...or hearts.” He knew that he wasn’t giving any information that was as interesting as he was sure some of the families hoped.

Still, it was his adventure, he could hold it close to his chest if he wanted to, and that was exactly what he would do.

”Hey, I really do appreciate the offer,” he said with a smile. It was kind, he knew, for this man to offer him a place to work, to give him a chance to be in with a good business that had nothing to do with his own family, but he was still fairly determined not to take it. Icarus wanted to make his own way, his own life, and he would do whatever it took to make that happen. He didn’t need to let that on, though, not to this man. Not right now.

”Yeah...” he laughed awkwardly, raking his hand through his hair. ”I didn’t really go for the family business, it’s not...not really my thing, I don’t think, and my sister, she wants it.” That much was clear. Who was he to go in there and try to bust up what his siblings had. ”I’m the youngest, so I think it’ll be alright if I don’t go into the business. My siblings both have, so that should be enough.” He nodded matter of fact my.

”Thor.” He nodded. ”Alright, I can do that.” He had forgotten that this man was the same age as Octavia, that she would be so much older now, because of course the world had not stopped while he had been gone. It had gone on without him, and there would be a great many changes that he knew he would have to adapt to. ”Do you know her well?” he asked. ”Octavia?” He had never been terribly close with his sister, so he didn’t know who her friends were. He didn’t know much about anyone in his family, he had always chosen to be off by himself.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
THORFINN ROWLE
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 07:38 AM
TWENTY-SEVEN
Claiming Pure
DEATH-EATER
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Dull.

The word almost seemed inadequate for just how torturous those parties could be for Thor; there was no escape form the ever present and judgemental family eye and back when his wife had been alive he’d been stuck unable to leave when it pleased him to do so or go do as he liked because he had to pretend to be the world’s greatest husband and the devious woman had known she had him trapped on his best behaviour. It was why he tried to push her off to dance with any other bloke he could or excused himself to deal with some urgent business with another party attendee. This was how Thor had found out that most men like himself who really had no desire to be there tended to congregate together, smoking cigars and drinking scotch on balconies, private libraries or drawing rooms. But then again, attending the same societies soirees as was expected of him after the death of his wife was just as tortuous because everyone wished to tell him how sorry they were or pass on some form of sentiment when all he’d done was say thank you, try to look appropriately sad while screaming ‘Ding dong the bitch is dead’ in his head every single time.

So, Thor really thought he should be given some sort of exoneration from any judgement on placing a simple harmless bet or two. He felt like he’d definitely served his jail sentence, paid the penance for something so small as this grievance. However, if young Icarus decided to take issue with anyone else on the matter than Thor couldn’t blame him, human beings weren’t animals to be bet on or hunted down. Well depending on their blood that was debatable.

It seemed almost like an understatement to Thor when he heard the younger man speak of his sister wanting the family business; but he also knew that business almost as well as his own family’s business, well from the outside looking in as much as anyone could. But the difference was, his sister deserved the family business, but once again that was from an outsider’s viewpoint and not one Thor felt was best to be vocalising, after all, what was it of his business? It would not be too dissimilar from someone voicing their opinion on the structure of Rowle & Son which would not go down well, especially considering he did all the work but his father just reaped all the reward and the good word from the powerful people they helped out. Icarus definitely had the right idea when it came to the whole steering clear of the family business and the pressures that came hand in hand with it. “I’m starting to think you’re the smart one out of us here, Yaxley.” Thor said with a salute of his glass to the other man. Thor had had no choice; facing exile from his family and being disowned was not an option, he couldn’t abandon his little sister with the likes of their father or their older sister, they’d destroy her or worse, try to make her like the rest of them.

Octavia. That name still held such a power over him even after all this time but of course it would, he was a mere mortal man and Octavia Yaxley, he preferred to think of her with her maiden name not her married name which left a bad taste in his mouth, was his dream girl and to this day dream woman if he was being honest. But he wasn’t even honest with himself so there was very little fear him ever saying it out aloud. “Yeah you could say that, we were at Hogwarts together. I knew her very well actually, there is some history there.” ‘Like I was quite sure her last name would be Rowle and you would be my brother in law history.’

But somethings were best left not volunteered and for the young man probably best not heard because all the stories he could tell about Icarus sister, most of them he actually definitely would not want to know and she was the one woman Thor was a gentleman about; anyone else was free game but not her. Not Octavia because she was and always would be different.

“I have a great amount of respect for Octavia, just so you know.”

PM
^
Icarus Yaxley
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 12:04 PM
Twenty
Pureblood
CITIZEN
APPLICATION
SHIPPER
SANDBOX
WANTED
AWARDS

Those parties were just one of the many things that Icarus had hated about his life before he had run away. There was just so much pomp and circumstance, and none of it really came to anything at all. He hated it. It was dull, and it was horrible, and he was not going to be that person. He didn’t have it in him. Some of the pure blood sons (and daughters) faked everything until they made it, but he couldn’t do that. He didn’t have that conniving bone in his body, the one that everyone else in his family seemed to possess...especially his sister and parents. He was a Yaxley, but really only in name, in his heart, he was someone different, and he wasn’t sure how that had happened to him.

He felt stiff, though, talking to this man. He had to still put up some sort of a front with him, because of all the ties that the other man had to his life, to his fmaily, and it was...a lot. Too much,really for him, to feel comfortable. Then again, it wasn’t very often that Icarus felt comfortable with other people. He kept so much to himself, and he didn’t let anyone really see much of him, so he had never really been able to feel truly okay around other people.

He was a loner, better off by himself than with others, and you couldn’t really do that in the pure blood world. That was just another of the man reasons why he had run...and one of the reasons he was questioning whether returning was a good idea at all.

”Oh, no,” he shook his head. ”Just...speaking the truth.” But he was smart, he was incredibly smart, and he pushed himself to be smarter every day. However, he didn’t want to brag about his brain, and how good it was, because honestly, he didn’t see it that way. He was just trying to figure out how to be himself without giving too much of what was inside of him away. He was careful, cautious, and that wasn’t going to change anytime soon. He had always been this way, and he likely always would be. It would be a lonely life, perhaps, but it would be his, and that mattered to him.

Icarus raised an eyebrow at the talk of history with his sister. This wasn’t something that he had known about, and it didn’t take a genius to know what he meant, or at least some version of what he meant, when he said history. He hadn’t known Ocatavia’s life at school, they had never really been close, though he knew that she absolutely deserved the business due to her hard work. He would never take it from her, even if she was certainly not one of his favorite people.

”Well, I don’t plan to be the prodigal son, returning to steal the business from the jaws of my more qualified, but, by no fault of her own, female, sister,” he said. He didn’t know why he felt the need to assure the man of that, but if he had respect for Octavia, well, maybe it would put him at ease to know that.

”Is that why you offered me work?” he asked, one eyebrow raised. ”Out of...respect for my sister?” Of course, what he meant by that was “to get closer to my sister.” It would, after all, likely make a good impression on most, someone taking their younger brother under their wing, especially a “lost little boy” such as so many were likely to view Icarus.

But he wasn’t lost, he knew who he was, and he didn’t need this man’s help. Still, he wasn’t going to come out and say that. He knew better.

@THORFINN ROWLE
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

OUR AFFILIATES

Accio Discord!
On IA we use a widget that allows guest posting, sign in with your discord id or as a guest.